1.24.2008

Waxing Political Again

During tonight's Republican debate Mayor Giuliani said, "when the country was 7 out of 10 in favor of the war, Hilary supported it.  Now that the country is 6 out of 10 against it, so is she."  He says this to show that she's flip-flopping at the will of the people.  Here's the problem: we live in a republic.  We live in something called a representative democracy.  There are a couple reasons for this.  One, it's impractical for everyone in a country to vote every time a decision needs to be made, so we elect people who we think would vote the same way we would when it comes time to make one of these decisions.  I personally find it refreshing that there are people out there representing us who follow polls, who say, "well, my constituents don't like this, I better not vote for it, or they're going to assert the power that they have over me, and they're not going to re-elect me."  That's how this government works, if the people who represent us act in a way that we don't agree with, we get to fire them.  What is wrong with Senator Clinton voicing the will of the people she serves?  This brings us to the second (read real) reason that our government was set up the way it was.  The founding fathers, and apparently most of the people who currently represent, or wish to represent us, don't think we're smart enough to make informed decisions.  Now, I get that we don't have the resources at our fingertips that elected officials do.  I don't remember the last time a 5-star general sat down with me to talk military strategy or disclosed classified information to me.  But I do think that after 6 years of war in which nothing seems to be getting accomplished, in which we start to see people who have served in the Middle East saying that enough is enough, I think it is well within our right to say, we've had it.  Your time is up.  Let's put an end to this, or we'll fire you.  Whether Mayor Giuliani thinks we're smart enough to make this decision or not. 

No comments: